štvrtok 16. augusta 2012

ST. VALENTINE'S STORY


St. Valentine's Story


ROSE DIVIDER Pictures, Images and Photos



Let me introduce myself. My name is Valentine. I lived in Rome during the third century. That was long, long ago! At that time, Rome was ruled by an emperor named Claudius. I didn't like Emperor Claudius, and I wasn't the only one! A lot of people shared my feelings.rose Pictures, Images and Photos

Claudius wanted to have a big army. He expected men to volunteer to join. Many men just did not want to fight in wars. They did not want to leave their wives and families. As you might have guessed, not many men signed up. This made Claudius furious. So what happened? He had a crazy idea. He thought that if men were not married, they would not mind joining the army. So Claudius decided not to allow any more marriages. Young people thought his new law was cruel. I thought it was preposterous! I certainly wasn't going to support that law!
rose Pictures, Images and Photos



Did I mention that I was a priest? One of my favourite activities was to marry couples. Even after Emperor Claudius passed his law, I kept on performing marriage ceremonies -- secretly, of course. It was really quite exciting. Imagine a small candlelit room with only the bride and groom and myself. We would whisper the words of the ceremony, listening all the while for the steps of soldiers.
rose Pictures, Images and Photos



One night, we did hear footsteps. It was scary! Thank goodness the couple I was marrying escaped in time. I was caught. (Not quite as light on my feet as I used to be, I guess.) I was thrown in jail and told that my punishment was death.
I tried to stay cheerful. And do you know what? Wonderful things happened. Many young people came to the jail to visit me. They threw flowers and notes up to my window. They wanted me to know that they, too, believed in love.

 
rose Pictures, Images and Photos




One of these young people was the daughter of the prison guard. Her father allowed her to visit me in the cell. Sometimes we would sit and talk for hours. She helped me to keep my spirits up. She agreed that I did the right thing by ignoring the Emperor and going ahead with the secret marriages. On the day I was to die, I left my friend a little note thanking her for her friendship and loyalty. I signed it, "Love from your Valentine."

 
rose Pictures, Images and Photos




I believe that note started the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine's Day. It was written on the day I died, February 14, 269 A.D. Now, every year on this day, people remember. But most importantly, they think about love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, they remember how he tried to stand in the way of love, and they laugh -- because they know that love can't be beaten!











I wish you a lovely
VALENTINE'S DAY



viera7 wrote on Feb 14, '10
Don't forget also the important things in life.
Probably the most significant question we can ask ourselves is what is the most important thing in life.

Many would consider money or financial success as the most important factor in life. The high rate of suicide amongst lottery winners would contradict this. Others would search for fame, yet the list of famous people.

I would propose that wisdom is the most important thing in life. Wisdom is needed to achieve the best results in the myriad decisions we all need to make daily in our personal, financial, family, work, community lives.

But I agree with you Vart, LOVE has become one of the most important things in life too because we live for it we die for it...
Happy Valentine's day Vart...

P.S.
I looking forward to our success in Canada...:-)

viera7 wrote on Feb 14, '10
Thank you Michael for that beautiful sonng...

jashheifetz wrote on Feb 14, '10
viera7 said
. But most importantly, they think about love and friendship.
That says it all dear Viera of Bratislave.

Don't forget also the important things in life.
What is sacred?
Of what is the spirit made?
What is worth living for,
and what is worth dying for?

The answer to each is the same.

Only love.

You had a beautiful delegation marching at the opening ceremonies yesterday in Canada, representing your country for the winter Olympics..
I hope tomorrow you get a gold.

Love always,

Vartkes

fruhlings wrote on Feb 13, '10

viera7 wrote on Feb 12, '10
According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself.
Glad you visited my page Regina...I can imagine that the spring in Italy use to come a bit sooner than in the rest of Europe...Have a pleasant Valentine's day...

viera7 wrote on Feb 12, '10
belita747 said
Wonderful and lovely entry, Viera! Enjoy your Valentine's day....
Thank yoyu Belita... you to enjoy this lovely day... HUGS

viera7 wrote on Feb 12, '10
laclaire said
I suppose this one had a happy, as well as sad, ending.
Whatever the fact, it appears that Valentine in some way did succeed to help...Thanks for visiting... Have a nice Valentine's day...

simplyregina wrote on Feb 12, '10
According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself.
Thanks for sharing the history about Valentine.
Actually in ancient Rome, February was the official beginning of spring and was considered a time for purification.
Wish you a pleasant Valentine’s day

belita747 wrote on Feb 12, '10
Wonderful and lovely entry, Viera! Enjoy your Valentine's day....

laclaire wrote on Feb 12, '10
Fascinating!!! I suppose this one had a happy, as well as sad, ending.

Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára